In many circles, its a well know fact… that keeping the customers you have is easier and less expensive than finding new ones. The question is: How can you make your customers your biggest fins… all while keeping them coming back for more?
Here are 6 ideas that you can use in your business:
1. Give them something for free. Easier said, than done… right? Well here is the thing – if your customers are given something that makes them feel special, they will love you for it. If they love you – they will tell their friends and family about how great your business is.
2. Simply ask for repeat business. Make sure your customer know how important they are to the success of your business… and ask them to come back. This would seem to be common sense, but is often a step that small business owner forget to do.
3. Listen carefully, and follow up. If you listen to what your customer are saying about you… or your competition, you will have all the information you need to keep them happy. Some will even make sure they are continually surveying their customer base… to see how they can improve. Once you gather this information, you have to start taking steps to make those changes in your business.
One of the huge advantages of being a small business, is the ability to be nimble and move quickly. When you see an opportunity – seize it.
4. Know how to stay in touch. Make sure you know who to stay in contact with your customer… and what forms of communication they prefer. What is the best way to communicate with your customers.
Some business, for example, are finding great success with mobile text marketing.
5. Set reasonable expectations. Make sure your customers know what to expect when they do business with you. The best practice is to “Under promise… and over deliver”. Make sure you find ways to impress your customers and make they feel that they are being delivered great value with excellent service.
6. Say thank you. This is a “no brainier”, but many small business owners have a hard time getting all members of their team to say “THANK YOU!”. This is not only important if you are in the hospitality business… but every business should work hard to thank their customers often.
Earning repeat business is not astro physics… and really only comes down to treating your customers like people, not transactions.
What is something that you think needs to be added to this list?